The Texas sun is shining bright and thanks to TXU Energy, consumers have access to a wide range of solar options to power their homes and businesses.
According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, Texas had 341 megawatts of utility-scale solar generation capacity at the end of November. That was enough electricity to power about 65,000 average Texas homes for a full year. While that’s a small percentage of Texans, utility-scale solar generation is growing faster than other types of electricity generation in Texas.
Just as it did during the early days of wind generation in Texas, TXU Energy, the state’s leading retail electric provider, is helping business and residential customers understand the benefits of solar electricity. The company is also developing a variety of ways to meet consumers’ diverse needs and preferences related to solar electricity.
In recent months, TXU Energy:
- Introduced the market’s first community solar plan with TXU Energy Solar Club 60SM which gives customers benefits similar to a rooftop solar array without the cost of installing a system.
- Announced TXU Energy Solar Advantage, a three-year residential plan backed by 100 percent Texas solar power.
- Brought TXU Solar from SunPower to the state, offering the market’s highest efficiency rooftop solar panels.
- Helped the City of Dallas become the largest U.S. municipal user of 100 percent renewable electricity.
- Created a deal that will make Children’s Health System the largest green power user among all healthcare providers in the state and the largest among all pediatric health care providers in the country.
“We have one of the most diverse portfolios of solar offerings in the market, and we are proud of the benefits these plans deliver to the state, environment and consumers,” said Scott Hudson, chief operating officer for TXU Energy. “Working with our sister company, Luminant, we are bringing together the best companies to work for Texans.”
“While our customers benefit from our ability to deliver great solar plans and services, the industry benefits from the growing consumer interest in solar electricity and the state benefits from jobs and the deployment of more renewable electricity generation,” Hudson said. “We are proud to be doing our part and we’re honored that so many Texans trust TXU Energy to power their homes and businesses.”