– Arthur Ashe, American professional tennis player
For more than 100 years, the EFH family of companies has helped make life better for Texans, providing light, comfort and other modern conveniences that are key building blocks of a better life.
Giving back is simply in our nature. The people of EFH, Luminant and TXU Energy prove this every year with their contributions and volunteerism to the annual United Way/TXU Energy Aid campaign and Energy In Action program.
Last year’s United Way/TXU Energy Aid campaign made a measurable impact across the state, providing critical support for more than 20,000 customers who needed assistance in paying their electric bills and offering $2.3 million and 1,800 hours in resources for residents in the areas of education, income and health. All told, United Way investments in the Community Impact Fund helped nearly 642,000 people change their lives by leaving poverty, graduating and living healthy, responsible lives.
“This year, we aim to continue that record of excellence by partnering with Energy In Action to drive employee volunteerism, ensuring that we stay actively engaged in providing impactful service to our area communities,” says EFH CEO John Young.
Today, on North Texas Giving Day, we’re in the heart of our 2014 United Way/TXU Energy Aid campaign, with several successful events already in the books and even more opportunities to give back on the calendar:
- More than 80 company leaders and volunteers hosted a science fair for 322 students at our United Way partner school, Julian T. Saldivar Elementary, and spruced up a soccer field we built two years ago.
- Hundreds of TXU Energy employees volunteered with North Texas Food Bank sorting 19,000 pounds of food, volunteered with VNA of Texas to distribute meals to homebound senior citizens, crafted hundreds of greeting cards and food-delivery bags, and volunteered at Grapevine Relief and Community Exchange community gardens.
- Luminant’s Comanche Peak Nuclear Power Plant employees raised more than $35,000 for United Way and TXU Energy Aid with the site’s annual bake sale.
- Some 20 EFH, Luminant and TXU Energy teams raised more than $7,000 to help families in need in communities across Texas in the annual United Way/TXU Energy Aid Softball Tournament.
- Luminant leaders helped raise more than $5,000 by collecting donations and taking on the Ice Bucket Challenge to benefit United Way and TXU Energy Aid.
- Still to come this month: Employees across the company will compete to raise funds in chili cook-offs, a talent show, wiffle ball derby and volleyball tournament, and employees, friends and family members will volunteer at a local Special Olympics Bocce and Softball Competition.
EFH and its employees have contributed nearly $26 million to some 24 United Way organizations since 2000. In addition, since 1983 employees, customers and the company have given $82 million to TXU Energy Aid to help more than 455,000 customers across Texas in need of bill-payment assistance.